By participating in CWLI's programs, training, and networking opportunities, you will be joining a diverse group of women seeking to bring about change, broaden perspectives and develop strong women leaders. The vision for a sustainable Chattanooga is the reflection of strong leaders, building a network for the future.
New for 2019, we are organizing our curriculum into a quarterly thematic approach. Our programs will be more cohesive so you have the opportunity to explore a topic from multiple angles. Additionally, we will now offer tiered workshops called "Leadership Studies" that take a deeper dive into the quarterly theme. You now have the opportunity to select from offerings at a beginning, middle and advanced level. Learn more below or view our calendar.
The Chattanooga Women’s Leadership Institute offers quarterly luncheons that feature community, business, civic, and political leaders presenting information related to business and leadership. Topics are timely, wide-ranging and provocative. Attendees frequently leave feeling enlightened and inspired.
- Sharon Pryse – April 10, 2019
- Courtney Jones – July 10, 2019
- Shaunti Feldhan – October 16, 2019
- Words Matter: Meet Kim Shumpert – May 16, 2018
- It’s Never Too Late (or Too Early) to Make a Transition – November 14, 2018
- Diversity and Inclusion: Part One – March 17, 2017
- Diversity and Inclusion: Part Tw0 – June 2, 2017
- Best Thinking Around Leadership – September 6, 2017
- “Being Boss” with Emily Thompson – November 14, 2017
- Knowing Your Value – April 22, 2016
- Growing Your Value Through Civic Engagement – June 17, 2016
- Women, Money, and Influence- September 20, 2016
- Are You Doing What You Love? -November 29, 2016
- MENtors: Men Who Promote Women – June 5, 2015
- Are Your Doing What Your Love? – September 8, 2015
- Resilience – December 11, 2015
- Why Women Matter: Because We RUN (campaigns, businesses, homes, nonprofits, etc.) – April 25, 2014
- Why Women Matter: Leading with Presence – June 25, 2014
- Building Your Network – October 1, 2014
- CWLI 15th Anniversary Celebration – December 13, 2013
- Why Women Matter: Leading with a Healthy Mind, Body & Spirit – October 9, 2013
- Why Women Matter: A Collective Voice for THRIVE 2055 – June 28, 2013
- Why Women Matter: Colorful Communication – May 3, 2013
Each quarter you will be able to engage at a deeper level with the content presented over the course of three months. Our Leadership Studies offerings are designed to offer beginning, middle and advanced content around a given quarterly theme. As you identify your level of expertise, our presenters are here to challenge you in LS 1, LS 2 or LS 3 courses.
LS1 – Leadership Study (Tier 1): For beginning career level, introductory topics and skill discovery.
LS2 – Leadership Study (Tier 2): For collaborators, team builders, new managers and mid-level/beginning new career.
LS3 – Leadership Study (Tier 3): For executive level, case studies, deep dives and substantive content.
These gatherings use informative books and articles on leadership topics to promote discussion and learning. The small group setting allows for sharing of experiences and is facilitated by community providers qualified to lead such groups.
Register for these events here.
Quarterly Connect (formerly networking) includes quarterly informal opportunities to network with women leaders in engaging settings around Chattanooga. Past locations include Erlanger Hospital, Business Development Center, Heaven & Ale, Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy and more.
Developing Women to Serve as Role Models for Other Women
Launched in 2008 as Women Mentoring Women this leadership and professional development program is transforming for 2019.
Game ChangeHer participants will learn the skills needed to mentor and develop other women in community and business leadership roles while also participating in a journey of self-discovery. This program is designed for women in all stages of life – from new workforce employees to retirees. Learn more at cwli.org/gamechangeher.
Our 2019 Affinity Groups are presented by Regions Bank.
The interests of the members of CWLI are as diverse as the members themselves. We want to provide support and promotion to the areas you are most passionate about.
These member-led groups allow for a more intimate look at current women’s issues at a pace decided upon by the group members.
If you are interested in starting an affinity group, let the CWLI staff help you form and norm your group dynamic. Then, we will turn it over to your leadership to maintain the regularity and parameters of the topic of interest.
We will serve to support your efforts and inform the membership at-large of the offering. We depend on you to make it great! As always, we will help you by promoting your meetings in our communications and by celebrating your accomplishments as you determine how to best engage the group.
Our current affinity groups are:
- Listening Fridays: Round-table discussions on a variety of topics including mentoring, successful leadership and more. Led by CWLI Board Members Marj Flemming and Amanda Jelks.
- Power of Happy 2.0: Feeling stuck? Explore how to give less time and attention to your inner critic with Kelly Summersett.
- Nonprofit CEOs: For women currently leading a nonprofit in a CEO or Executive Director role.
- Women in Finance: For women working in the finance industry, in financial positions in broad industries, or for those who want to learn more about finance tips and tricks.
- Small Business Owners
For more information or to get involved, email us.
CWLI’s annual leadership address to the community featuring speakers such as Stacy Allison, the first American woman to summit Mt. Everest; Dr. Mae Jemison, the first African American women in space; Emmy award-winning journalist Connie Chung; and HGTV-Co-Founder, Susan Packard and MSNBC journalist, author Mika Brzezinski. The Impact event hosts approximately 800 Chattanooga men and women who come together to celebrate what women bring to leadership.
- 2019 Speaker Katty Kay
- 2018 Speaker Jennifer Fleiss
- 2017 Speaker Randi Zuckerberg
- 2016 Speaker Mika Brzezinski
- 2015 Speaker Susan Packard
- 2014 Speaker Connie Chung
- 2013 Speaker Dr. Mae Jemison
- 2012 Speaker Stacy Allison